TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Typical Integration
- Common Inventory Tracking Methods
- Adjust vs Set Operation
- Inventory Discrepancy Report
- Areas Matching Locations in Host
- Moves and PO Putaways
- Hold Locations
- Reason Codes
Inventory between WOS and a Host system is almost never "synced". Syncing inventory implies a process that ensures both systems have the same total quantity. Systems track inventory differently, so syncing inventory often results in errors and overselling. Instead, the typical inventory integration "syncs transactions". As Puts, Pulls, or Cycle Counts are performed in WOS and inventory is adjusted, the delta quantities are pushed to the host system.
Common Inventory Tracking Methods
The following a list of common approaches for tracking inventory in a system. Each system might use different terminology for each method.
- OnHand Inventory
- System tracks how much inventory is physically on hand. Inventory that has been picked is removed.
- This is how WOS tracks inventory. When Orders are picked, inventory is removed.
- Available Inventory
- System tracks how much inventory is available to be sold. As Orders are placed, inventory is immediately decremented
- To compare inventory, WOS must have the complete list of open orders to calculate an accurate Available Inventory
- This is typical of Ecommerce systems
- Fulfilled Inventory
- System removes inventory once the Order has been marked as shipped. Inventory remains on hand until the fulfillment is marked as shipped.
- To compare inventory, WOS must consider the inventory that has been picked but not yet fulfilled in the Host.
- This is typical of ERP systems
Adjust vs Set Operation
Inventory Discrepancy Report
Warehouse vs Bin Inventory Integration
Areas Matching Locations in Host
Moves and PO Putaways
WOS has the ability to apply reason codes when Puts, Pulls, or Moves are performed. The integration can keep a list of Reason Codes to perform specific actions against them. A couple examples are below.
- Adjustments in WOS can be ignored so that WOS inventory can be changed but not communicate those changes to the Host system
- If required by the Host system, GL Accounts could be applied per reason code